Honey is a wondrous substance. It sweetens tea, soothes coughs, and can also be used as a burn dressing (keeps the area moist and kills bacteria).
It is also a great addition to homemade masks, can be used as a gentle shampoo and also as a skin cleanser.
I have been using plain honey on my face as a cleanser for the past 3 weeks and can attest that it leaves it feeling clean but not squeaky. Other cleansers with harsh ingredients can trigger eczema flare-ups and even break-outs. I had that experience recently with a new cleanser I tried. But within just a few days of using honey, my skin has calmed down, cleared up, and started to glow again.
The method is super easy. Massage on some honey, let sit while brushing teeth for 2 minutes, rinse off with warm water.
Other ideas for using honey:
- Mix a bit with plain yogurt for a brightening mask.
- Mix a bit with your spirulina-water paste for a super nourishing mask.
- Mix a bit with pineapple or papaya pulp for a refreshing (and delicious) enzyme mask.
- Add a smidge of coconut oil to honey for a deeper cleanse
- Mix with ground oatmeal for a gentle, exfoliating scrub
- Or, mix with sugar for a more vigorous scrub
- Dilute with water and use it to wash your hair — this is easier done with short hair than the long stuff.
Have you used honey as a beauty treatment? Please share your stories and recipes!