I have a few confessions to make. As the Skincare Junkie, it must seem that I have all my stuff together and I know what I’m doing, but actually, I learn a lot about skincare (especially the changing needs of aging skin) each day.
Here are some things that may or may not surprise you about me:
1. I don’t use a special eye cream unless I’m testing one. I tend to use CeraVE cream — which is really thick and moisturizing and comes in a giant tub.
2. Although I’d love to try a commercial Vitamin C serum, I got hooked on making my own vitamin C serum several years ago when I was a regular MakeupAlley.com member. Distilled water, glycerin, Vit C powder. Now I just add a smidge of Vitamin C powder to my “toner” (I like Asian toners which are very moisturizing instead of astringent like Western toners) or moisturizer. It really helps keep my skin glowing and those brown spots from taking over…
3. I stop using anything that thins the skin in the summer, including retinol products, glycolic acid and anything with salicylic acid. I’ll start using them again after the Autumn Equinox. I think they do more harm than good when you have too much sun exposure, and I work outdoors for most of the summer.
4. I own a lot of sunscreens. They are my favorite skincare product. All of the ones in the photo are winners.
5. I am too cheap to spend $$ on upscale Western brands of skincare and make-up such as Dior or Estee Lauder, but don’t blink an eye at similar prices from Shiseido or upscale Korean brands.
6. I am a life-long pimple popper. Thank goodness I don’t get them very often anymore. And also, now that I’m at a certain age, I can channel that urge into plucking black hairs from my chin instead.
7. My eyebrows are a nusiance. They are pale and now have sprouted a few long white hairs which make it look like I have bald spots. If there were a way to permanently dye them so I never had to think about them again, I’d be a very happy camper… unfortunately, my eyebrows grow quickly so using dye is an expensive and short-lived option (kind of like getting my nails done only less fun). And I don’t like the way permanent tattoos look for eyebrows. So for now, I just deal with them with either Makeup Forever’s Aqua Brow (thanks to the The Unknown Beauty Blog for this product recommendation) or a neutral brownish eyeshadow — whatever I’m using as a contour color that day.
8. A bout with eczema this summer taught me that my skin truly is not the same as it was when I was a teen — or even last year. When I get a rash of pimples now, I am supposed to slather on CeraVe cream, since it might be due to a lack of moisture instead of overactive oil glands. It goes against the grain of everything I’ve learned as a person with formerly oily skin… but it is what worked to stop the pimples, crusting and itching this summer. Sometimes my intuition is just wrong and I need to get over that.
9. I never go out in public without sunscreen, eyeliner and a quick smudge of lipgloss.
10. I have been eyeing several products with snail slime as a key ingredient and am building my courage (and beauty splurge fund) to try one this winter. I don’t think I’m ready for a living snail spa treatment like they have in Tokyo, but a rich cream would be interesting and possibly the newest best thing!
How about you? Do you have any beauty confessions? Do you leave the house with a naked face and not feel naked? Do you have any products you find multiplying in your bathroom (such as cleansers or conditioners?) Is there something that other people consider gross that you might like to try… or have tried?